For those who don’t know, the Singapore Games Week (SGW) 2021 is currently underway and is showcasing and celebrating Singapore’s vibrant games industry and its communities. The events runs from 11th to 17th October.
The debut edition of SGW offers anyone who is interested in games and Singapore’s gaming scene a virtual exhibition (SGW Virtual Village), workshops, a treasure hunt, trivia sessions and more.
Industry players who are keen to network with home-grown companies in the gaming and esports scene can also check out the Singapore Pavilion at gamescom asia at the Suntec Convention Centre on 14th and 15th October.
On 17th October, Asia’s best gaming companies will be recognised for their achievements in areas including events, gaming and esports at the inaugural Asia Games Awards.
Create your Avatar and Explore the SGW Virtual Village
The main exhibition platform for SGW 2021 is the SGW Virtual Village. Visitors start by creating and customising their own online avatars and then traverse through the various Singapore themed zones. You can access the SGW Virtual Village HERE and it’s free to explore from now till 31st October.
What can you do in the Virtual Village you may ask? Activities include:
- Meet and “chat” with Singapore-based gaming companies, including game developers, publishers, as well as companies with an expertise in games-related design, jewellery, marketing, and video production. Look out for game showcases as well, including an exclusive showcase of “Convalescence” – a game developed by Singapore Polytechnic Year 2 Design students.
- Watch gaming content at the Screening Zone – from video screenings to live-streamed sessions direct from gamescom asia.
- Spot and solve clues of a Treasure Hunt within the village grounds.
Embark on a Treasure Hunt and Check Out Local Businesses
A Treasure Hunt is being held during SGW 2021 so get your detective caps on. It’s a hybrid event so you will need to search for clues in the virtual world and the good old fashioned real world. Clues and hints will be hidden in the SGW Virtual Village, partner sites, as well as selected F&B locations. So yes, you can go get some drinks and some good food all under the guise of doing a treasure hunt. Win!
Completed entries with correct answers will stand to win a range of attractive prizes including a gaming chair, smart watch, games, loot bags and more.
Discover your (hidden) talent in games with the community
From painting miniatures to game design workshops, a series of activities organised by the local gaming community are available for every game enthusiast.
Either free to attend or at attractively subsidized rates, they are held between 11th-17th October and include:
- The Paper Playground by AlterCulture Studios: A workshop that gives attendees a sneak peek into the process of designing games, and hands-on experience in designing their very own game prototype to take home.
- Running Tabletop RPGs for Friends and Family: A Beginner’s Guide to TRPGs and Storytelling by Curious Chimeras: A workshop where experienced TRPG (Tabletop Role-playing Games) designers and gamemasters will show how you can enjoy these games too with your friends and family.
- Dungeons & Dragons Experience by Neo Tokyo Project: Learn to play Dungeons & Dragons with Singapore’s first and only ENnie Awards nominated adventure author Jason Koh, and experience a series of gripping, 4‐hour long adventures specially adapted for SGW 2021.
- Learn to Paint Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures by Neo Tokyo Project: A beginner friendly miniature painting workshop will let attendees learn techniques to add color to their tabletop gaming experience by bringing their favorite monsters and characters to life.
- Play with Gank’s Playpals by Gank: From 11th – 17th October, Gank will be offering subsidized rates to play and interact with their SEA-based content creators and gamers.
- A Gamers’ Trivia Game of Games Game by SGGA: A series of online game-dev trivia game nights for fun and excitement with your fellow gaming friends. Registration has closed.
The Business of Gaming – the Singapore Story
For companies keen to find out more about working in the Singapore-based games industry, from 14th – 17th October, SGGA will host a hybrid Singapore Pavilion at gamescom asia, the first Asian satellite event of the world‘s largest computer and video games festival, gamescom. The Singapore Pavilion will feature exhibitors from Singapore-based gaming and esports startups and SMEs.
Celebrate the best in Asia’s games scene with winners of The Asia Games Awards. Organised by SGGA in partnership with gamescom asia, the inaugural awards ceremony will be streamed live on 17 October in the SGW Virtual Village. The awards recognise the best work in Asia’s games scene.
During SGW 2021, SGGA’s Discord channel will play host to virtual networking sessions and welcomes anyone interested in the games industry to join in.
The Singapore Games Week 2021 is organised by the Singapore Games Association (SGGA) and held in conjunction with gamescom asia.